Sunday, July 10, 2011

Dr.Sketchy’s Philadelphia - D’Arcy D’Lux

This past Saturday I had the chance to drag myself away from Photoshop for a bit and go analog for a few hours!  Dr.Sketchy’s (Philadelphia Branch) hosted a sketchbook event at the World Cafe Live in Philly, featuring the model D’Arcy D’Lux.  I took the opportunity to rediscover what pencil and paper actually look and feel like, all while drinking and enjoying myself!

The Philly branch of Dr. Sketchy's usually runs timed sketches to keep you on your toes: 10 1-minute sketches, 5 5-minute sketches, and so on.  I am quite a slow sketcher, so it is good to be forced out of my comfort zone via timed poses.  I also think I either need glasses or I need to start sitting closer to the stage (or both), but that is beside the point!  Here are a few of my rough sketches from the session:

In case you are wondering what those odd lines are...Miss D'Arcy managed to spice up a few of the poses with a special trick: she threaded a  long, bendy straw up her nose and out of her mouth, and had a lucky first time member pose with her while he drank his beer through her straw! 

To spice things up at each event, and as an excuse to hand out some fun swag, some of the longer poses are thematic contests.  The first was Miss D'Arcy on a birthday cake and the second was as a liquor label.

If you have a chance, check out if there is a branch near you and join in the sketchy fun!

1 comment: